I have abstacted the folowing rules from several sources. You are welcome to use any or all of them for your event. If you are new to the game, this is a good guide. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Send them to email@example.com.
They are organized into three groups. Part 1 consists of courtesy and safety rules, suitable anywhere, anytime. Part 2 applies to rondezvous camping, largely dealing with maintaining period authenticity and may need modification to suit your specific needs. Part 3 is a list of generally good manners. You may prefer to make these recommendations, requirements or just figure most people don't need to be told.
When in doubt, check with the booshway.
- Safety and Courtesy
- No loaded firearms in camp.
- No knife or hawk throwing in the camp area.
- Camps should be kept neat.
- Each camp must have a fire bucket and a shovel. Fire pits are to be filled and cleared before leaving.
- Period Authenticity
- Vehicles are allowed in the primitive area for loading and unloading only. No vehicles please, except during designated hours, or during a bonifide emergency.
- Period dress (usually pre-1840) is required for all participents at all times in the primitive camp area and is recommended for the entire site. Visitors are welcome to "come-as-you-are" but you will have more fun if you too make an effort to look the part.
- Trade goods are limited to reproductions or originals of pre-1840 items or directly related items.
- Tents and other equipment should be both period style and made of materials available during the fur trade era.
- Any modern conveniences should be concealed. Put that beverage can inside a metal cup, hide the trash bag in a canvas sack or large basket, etc.
- Recommended Practices
- Ask permission before taking someone's picture.
- Keep pets under control and clean up after them.
- Do not open tents or enter campsites without the owners permission. This is not a museum That tent is someone's home.
This site designed and maintained by Arco Iris Web Designs, LLC. Copyright 2003.