Range Safety Rules
I have abstacted the folowing rules from several sources. You are welcome to use any or all of them for your event. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Send them to email@example.com.
They are organized into three groups. Part 1 is general safe black powder shooting rules, suitable anywhere, anytime. Part 2 applies at a range and may need modification to suit your specific needs. Part 3 is a list of generally good practices. You may prefer to make these as recommendations, as requirements or just skip it altogether.
- Safe Black Powder Shooting
- No smoking on the firing range or when handling/carrying black powder.
- No loading directly from a powder horn or flask.
- No open powder containers.
- Priming or capping on firing line only.
- When loading flintlock weapons, frizzen must be open & hammer in the down position.
- No blowing down muzzle to clear barrel.
- Range Rules
- Shooters only in the firing area, except for range officials and/or coaches.
- No one is allowed beyond the firing line except during cease fire.
- At cease fire, assure all loaded guns are discharged before proceeding down range.
- During cease fire, weapons should be laid down, at half cock, uncapped or frizzen open.
- Recommended Practices
- Wear shooting glasses and ear protection.
- Swab barrel between shots.
- Parents should maintain strict physically close supervision of children in the spectator area.
This site designed and maintained by Arco Iris Web Designs, LLC. Copyright 2002.