A Pilgim's Guide to Buckskinning
Rendezvous has its own vocabulary. Some are traditional from the original 19th C. Rendezvous, others have been coined recently. Here are a few definitions.
- Booshway Boss. Said to derive from bourgeois.
- Buckskinner Person who regularly participates in Rendezvous.
- Camp Attendance figures are usually given in camps. Could be one person or an extended family.
- Cap'n Just me personally. Abbreviation for Captain.
- Dog Soldier Rendezvous police. Emphasis is given to the helpful part, but they are expected to enforce the rules as well. Typically marked with a red arm-band. If you need help, need information or have a complaint, look for a dog soldier.
- Hivernaut lit. "One who stayed the winter." Oldtimer or experienced buckskinner.
- Hooter Toilet, esp. rental chemical toilet.
- Lodge Shelter and by extention the entire camp tent, awning, residents et al.
- Pilgrim Visitor or beginner.
- Possible Bag A bag for all your goods, . Could be a shoulder bag with his razor, cup, tobacco, tea or coffe, spare shirt, soap or anything possible. Could be a a large horse borne bag for trade goods, cooking gear or anything possible. Modern use frequently is a shooting bag.
- Segundo Second in charge, vice-booshway.
- Tin Teepee RV or travel trailer.